“Specialized services are intended to support families of children with severe disabilities to acquire specific skills and learn strategies to help promote their child’s development and participation in normal daily living activities at home and in the community” (Government of Alberta- Human Services).
At Children’s Autism Services of Edmonton, support and consultations occur in the home and/or at the Maier Centre, a specialized environment designed to enable families to focus on the skill-based learning they require. Specialized Services are available for all children who are eligible through Family Supports for Children with Disabilities (FSCD), including children with other developmental disorders or delays such as Down syndrome, Fragile X, Global Developmental Delay, Severe Communication and Behaviour Disorder, and others.
The Goals of Specialized Services are:
- to teach families how to build strategies into everyday routines
- to provide families with supports and resources to promote their child’s functional skills
- to enhance a family’s competence and confidence in addressing challenges
We Provide Services By:
- consulting and coaching parents and caregivers in everyday routines
- consultations include: home visits, centre-based visits, community visits, phone calls, e-mail and video calls
- creating individual service plans to fit the priorities of each family
- working with each family’s schedule
- consultations occur with members of our trans-disciplinary team, depending on family needs